Brownstown, Michigan Attorneys for Unpaid Wages & Overtime

Downriver Law Firm Fighting for Michigan Employees

If you believe that you have not been paid at least the minimum wage rate required under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Michigan law, then contact the Law Offices of Bryan Yaldou today to set up a free consultation. Allow Bryan Yaldou, our FLSA attorney, be your advocate and help you recover the wages you have worked hard to earn. We represent employees throughout the Downriver area and elsewhere in Michigan.

Who is Protected by the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)?

The FLSA requires that covered employers follow a particular set of rules regarding employee wages and hours. “Covered” employers often include entities whose annual revenue grosses at least $500,000 and entities that engage in interstate commerce. The FLSA requires covered employers to pay their non-exempt employees at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour and an overtime rate of 1 ½ their normal hourly rate for all hours worked over 40 in a single workweek.

The law requires that employers pay their employees for all tasks that the employee is “suffered or permitted” to work, this includes:

  • Work completed at home (reading/answering emails)
  • Travel time to and from job sites
  • Job training
  • Tasks performed before “clocking-in” or after “clocking-out”
  • Completing/filing paperwork

The federal law also requires that the tipped employee wage rate is at least $2.65/hour. The FLSA allows employers to pay tipped employees lower rates so long as employees make the “tip credit” which means that the employees receive enough tips to reach the federal minimum wage. However, if the employee’s tipped wages combined with the cash wage does not equal at least the federal minimum wage, then the employer is required to pay the difference.

What Happens if an Employer Violates the FLSA?

If any employer has an FLSA violation, they are subject to fines under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Employees who suffer from such violations may be entitled to recover up to three years of back wages, attorney fees, and liquidated wage damages. Employees can often recover double the amount that their employer owes them in unpaid wages through liquidated damages.

Learn more below about common types of FLSA violates entitling employees to back wages and damages. Contact our Brownstown wage and hour attorneys to discuss your particular situation and questions.

Unpaid Time / Overtime Violations

You work hard to make a living, do not let your employer get away with a wage and hour violation! Our Brownstown unpaid wages and overtime attorneys will help you determine if your rights have been violated and if you are owed back wages, attorney fe… Read More

Salaried Workers & Unpaid Overtime

If you are a salaried employee who is nonetheless making less than $913/week* and are not being paid for overtime, you might be misclassified — and thus might have a right to up to three years in unpaid wages / overtime pay. Read More

Are you a home health care worker?

One of the industries were employees are misclassified as salaried employees is in the Home Health Care industry. Employers often try to pay a salary to home health care workers to avoid payroll difficulties that are inherent in the type of services… Read More

Employees Misclassified as Independent Contractors

A common exemption under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is for individuals who are “independent contractors.” Independent contractors do not have the same rights as employees. Unfortunately, it is also very common to be misclassified as an i… Read More

Are you a cable installation technician who works over 40 hours a week?

Cable installation workers are often misclassified as independent contractors even though they are employees under the FLSA. If you are a cable installation technician who works more than 40 hours a week and you are not paid 1 ½ your regular pay rat… Read More

Unpaid Wages for Tipped Workers

If an employee spends more than 20% of his or her time conducting untipped work, but is only being paid a tipped wage, then he or she should be paid the full federal minimum wage rate for that untipped work. Our Brownstown unpaid wages and overtime a… Read More

Fill Out This Form For A Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.